With Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu earning big revenue in the video streaming market, YouTube also has decided to monetize its content by starting a subscription service – YouTube Premium. Users can watch ad-free videos, access YouTube Originals, and listen to YouTube music without any ads. The subscription also includes a Google Play Music subscription.
All these features are available at mere $11.99 per month, which is fair considering that users can access YouTube Originals and remove all kinds of ads from the YouTube space. What’s even better is that you can share the benefits of your paid subscription with your family and friends.
If you are wondering how to share your YouTube Premium subscription, you have come to the right place. Here are the steps to follow if you wish to share YouTube Premium:
How to Upgrade YouTube Premium
While you can share your YouTube Premium subscription, sharing it with your family could come at a price. For adding a maximum of 5 household members, you need to shell out $8 per month. Once you upgrade your account to the family plan, all the six accounts can enjoy all the benefits of YouTube Premium.
- Launch your web browser and open the YouTube webpage.
- Enter your login details on the premium page.
- Click on Manage and select the Manage Membership Choose Upgrade and once again click on Upgrade to confirm your choice.
- To skip steps 2 and 3, you can head straight for youtube.com/premium/family and click on Get Family Plan to upgrade your YouTube Premium account.
- After you have confirmed the upgrade, you will be charged the prorated fee for the entire billing duration.
How to Add Family to YouTube Premium
The following are the steps to add your family members to your YouTube Premium account. Remember, users have to be over 13 years old to have a Google account, which can then be added.
- From your YouTube Premium page, head to the Paid Membership.
- Next to the YouTube Premium, click on the action overflow button to select Family Sharing Settings.
- Another quick way is to go to the families.google.com link.
- Click on the “+” sign to add a family member.
- Enter the email ID of your family member and select them from the drop down menu.
- Click on Send.
- An invitation will be sent out to your family members and they need to accept the invitation within 14 days to access YouTube Premium.
Once you have a family account, you can also gain access to Google Play Family Library where you can share the content with your family. You can also avail the YouTube TV services, a common Google Keep notes, shared payment mode, shared calendar, and shared photos and video site.
The family group can only be changed once a year.
Marshall Lyne is a self-professed security expert; he has been making the people aware of the security threats. His passion is to write about Cybersecurity, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.